Monday, May 15, 2006

Examples of Credit Repair Letters

Credit is what is used to give approval for loans on cars, houses and furniture. Added to this, now more and more employers are running credit checks on applicants prior to hiring them. It is crucial then to know how to effectively write credit repair letters to credit reporting companies--Experian, TransUnion and Equifax--to dispute any erroneous information on your report. Negative data can paint an incorrect picture of how you manage money and may pose a hurdle in enticing prospective employers.

Facts

    Credit repair letters can be used to clean up any credit issues with the credit bureaus. It takes discipline and dedication to review the credit report on an annual basis, and then write a letter to dispel any false information and ask that it be removed.

Significance

    Cleaning up your credit can raise your credit score over a period of time. It will not happen overnight; however, with dedication in writing the letters and reviewing your credit reports, you will begin to see your credit score improve. This can make a huge difference between being offered higher interest rates based on your less than perfect credit and being offered a lower interest rate with manageable payments based on your new score.

Types

    There are various types of credit repair letters that you could write based on your specific situation. Several reputable resources on the Internet offer sample credit repair letters for your use (see References). When reviewing examples, do not use them verbatim but change the wording to fit your circumstances.

    The following are a few sample letters excerpted from CreditInfoCenter.com (see References):

    Sample Letter of Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

    Your Name
    222 Street
    Your City, ST ZIP

    Credit Company
    4444 Address
    City, State 11111

    Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

    Dear Creditor Name,

    I recently received a copy of my TRW credit report. The credit
    report showed a credit inquiry by your company that I do not recall
    authorizing. I understand that you shouldn't be allowed to put an
    inquiry on my file unless I have authorized it. Please have this
    inquiry removed from my credit file because it is making it very
    difficult for me to acquire credit.

    I have sent this letter certified mail because I need your prompt
    response to this issue. Please be so kind as to forward me
    documentation that you have had the unauthorized inquiry removed.

    If you find that I am remiss, and you did have my authorization to
    inquire into my credit report, then please send me proof of this.

    Thanking you in advance,

    Your Printed Name

    Sample Letter of Formal Complaint Reporting Inaccurate Credit Information

    Your Name
    123 Your Street Address
    Your City, ST 01234

    The Credit Bureau
    Bureau Address
    Anytown, State 56789

    Date

    Dear Credit Bureau,

    This letter is a formal complaint that you are reporting inaccurate credit information.

    I am very distressed that you have included the below information in my credit profile due to its damaging effects on my good credit standing. As you are no doubt aware, credit reporting laws ensure that bureaus report only accurate credit information. No doubt the inclusion of this inaccurate information is a mistake on either your or the reporting creditor's part. Because of the mistakes on my credit report, I have been wrongfully denied credit recently for a , which was highly embarassing and has negatively impacted my lifestyle.

    Optional with the proof I'm attaching to this letter, I'm sure you'll agree it needs to be removed ASAP.

    The following information therefore needs to be verified and deleted from the report as soon as possible:

    CREDITOR AGENCY, acct. 123-34567-ABC
    Please delete the above information as quickly as possible.

    Sincerely,

    Your Signature

    Your Name
    SSN 123-45-6789
    Attachment included.

    Don't forget to provide proof if you have it!

    Keep a copy for your files and send the letter registered mail.

    Sample Letter Requesting a Creditor Remove a Late Payment Based on Good Customer Standing

    Date

    Company name
    Address

    Re: Acct XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

    Dear CEO name,

    I am writing to you today regarding my credit card account 4236-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX which I had while I was a medical student at ------------------------------------. The purpose of my correspondence is to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment on the reporting of this account to the three credit agencies.

    During the time period this account was established I had was very happy with the service, I was however not the ideal customer and made mistakes with my handling of the account. I should have kept better records regarding the account and I take full responsibility. I became aware of the unpaid balance when I got a copy of my credit report in June of 2009.

    I know that payment was my responsibility and I am not attempting to justify this breach of my user agreement, I was however hoping you might review the circumstances under which this non-payment occurred and consider removing the negative trade line associated with this account from my three credit reports.

    As soon as I became aware of the balance I contacted ----------------- and paid the balance in full. I provide this not to justify why the account was unpaid, but rather to show that the issue with ----------- is not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that ---------------- is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports.

    I would like to STRESS that the information currently being reported IS accurate, (I am not disputing anything with ---------------). I am simply asking -------------for a courtesy gesture of goodwill in having the credit bureaus remove this account from my report. I do recognize that this request is unique and that it may not be ------------- normal policy. Please consider that the Fair Credit Reporting Act does not demand that all accounts be reported, only that any account that is reported be reported accurately. Therefore, a company does have legal discretion and permission to remove any account it chooses from the credit report. I'm hoping that ------------- will do that in my case for this account.

    Your kind consideration in this matter is greatly appreciated.

    Best Regards,

    Name
    123 Your Street Address
    Your City, ST 01234

Documentation Required

    When you are cleaning up credit, you must include with your credit repair letters copies of the documentation that prove or clarify your position as to why any disputed information is incorrect. It is very crucial that all the information you send to the credit bureaus be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, and that you keep a copy of everything you send. This provides you with a tracking system of when they received it.

Benefits

    When you are cleaning up your credit, you can request that the consumer reporting company send notices of any corrections to anyone who received your report in the past six months. Once you clean up your credit, it is good to remain in the habit of reviewing your credit report as a means of knowing what is on your report and making sure no one has stolen your identity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment